To help you plan your trip to Canada, we’ve compiled a list of essential items that we recommend you arrange prior to leaving for Canada, as well as a list of things to bring with you. Please help us by leaving comments if you think we have missed anything.
Items I need to organize:
- Travel insurance;
- Resume (Many people do not realise how crucial this is to your success in Canada so read our ‘Write a resume’ section, download a good template and get working on it);
- Arrange a place to stay for at least the first night. Click here to learn more about your options for accommodation;
- Ask previous landlords to supply you with accommodation references;
- Ask previous employers to act as a referee; and
- Ask previous insurers to supply you with a “no claims” letter as this will reduce your car insurance costs in Canada.
Items I need to bring with me:
- Visa documentation;
- Bank balance letter (if applicable);
- The address of a place to stay — this can be a hostel or a friend’s place;
- Driver’s license or some other form of ID for bars and clubs. Avoid having to use (and lose) your passport;
- Resume — e-mail it to yourself or bring an electronic copy;
- Accommodation reference letter; and
- Motor insurance letter (Having a “no claims” letter from previous insurance companies will significantly reduce your insurance premium payable).